Saturday, August 2, 2014

Mary and Me, or How I Found Our Mother

In our dicocese, we are currently undertaking the process of Marian consecration.  The actual consectration will take place on August 15th, the feast of the Assumption of Mary, at which time the Bishop will re-consecrate the diocese to its patron, the Blessed Mother.  I have no idea how many people are actually going through the month-long spiritual exercise, but I am one of them.

In all honesty, I kind of backed into it.  In my latest career move, I have returned to my radio roots and am doing a morning show on our local Catholic radio FM station.  How I got back to doing a morning show again is a story for another time.  It is a conversion story, though, as is this one.

As part of the program, my producer...who likes the daily reflections I sometimes do...suggested that I do a daily reflection on the daily prayer and reflection of the consecration process.  We are using Fr. Michael Gaitley's "33 Days to Morning Glory."  So I did.  It wasn't any kind of deep magnetism that led me to Mary, it was simply the request of my producer to do a daily piece for the program.

What has happened is that I have been able to go deeper into Marian theology.  This comes on the heels of taking a course on Mary last year at Notre Dame as part of my MA pursuit.  I then chose Mary as one of my topics for my comps.   And then comes this.

Two things:  My faith is not an emotion-based faith.  I am more like Thomas in that I need to see things or understand in some way what's going on before I come to believe on a deeper level.  The path to my heart is through my head,   So that's the process that is going on here.  The other thing, is that I believe that conversions often come bit by bit.  Something happens here, something happens there and none of them are related until you reach a point in the journey and see that they very much are related.

This is exactly what's going on now.  This consecration thing has moved from my head to my heart.
Once I had my post of knowing, my Thomas post, I was able to move from there.  Now I have spent more time in Marian devotion each day then at any other time in my life.   And things are beginning to happen.  After being somewhat stalled out in my faith, there is something moving again and Whatever's Next is on the way.   Without going into great detail, God is simply answering my prayer in a very methodical way, and its a way I neither expected or sought out.

You bet I believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment