Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Four Pillars

Good morning, third day, new year.  Today is the day when all those changes you think about should start to go into action.  Unless, of course, this is your official holiday and the day will be spent watching football or the NHL Winter Classic, or doing whatever you plan to do with the Final Day Off of the winter break.  As for me, it will be back to work on many fronts, including reviving the blog.

I always envisioned the Broom Tree to be a place for reflection, some spiritual thought, a little sharing of the things we encounter on our own pilgrim journeys.  Hopefully, I will be able to keep it that way.  If you're looking for more of the semi-political thing, and if you define everything as either "liberal" or "conservative," sorry, wrong pew.  I will probably bore you to death.  There's a part of me that believes that the Mystery of Creation is reflected in the complexity of the human soul, and by entering into that Mystery, I cannot pigeon-hole anyone based on my limited criteria, even though I fail to do this as much as the next guy and often do.

If there's anything I guess I would be expounding here, it would be the four pillars of the Catechism.  Faith, Sacraments, Life in Christ, Prayer.   To me, these are exactly what they are called, the pillars of living Catholic.  All are necessary for a full life in order with the One who created us.   Years ago, when I took up the game of golf, I had pro golfer Johnny Miller as a guest on my radio show.  His advice to me was simply to keep at mind that at no time would all the aspects of my game be equally good.  My short game might be good, but I might be having trouble with fairway shots, etc.  He stressed patience and persistence.  I think the same holds true to living the life we have chosen.  How we live out the four pillars will be inconsistent.  How often have you said "I need to pray more," or "I should get to Confession more?"   We all have aspects of our "game" to continue to work on.   In my future postings, my hope is that whatever I write adds to what we do in working on these fundamentals of our Catholic lives.   Anyway, it's good to be back.  Again. 

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this - and I am always pleased when I see one of your posts in my reader.

    I get too caught up in some of those conversations and I get upset when I do. I am not trying to defend my own position, which I do not see as liberal or conservative. However, I have to reexamine why I am even discussing it. Thanks for an invitation to do otherwise. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete